The Beat Bearing

9 January 2009

At work I am making this thing called The Beat Bearing. You can read all about it in Issue 17 of Make. Here's an eyes-shut photo of me with the finished Lexan piece. Milled on Bridgeport manual mill by Steamboat Ed.


I get Steamboat Ed to mill out the Lexan piece. The dimensions given are all in metric and the mill is in inches, so I draw it all out in AutoCAD in 3-D and then I create a 2-D diagram for him. So, I go over there, and it takes him about 5 hours. Very cool, very educational. He's got a gizmo that sort of CNC's the X-axis, which rocks, and also he has a quick change tool holder. WAY better than having to unscrew that drawbar thingy every time. I learned about wigglers too.

I end up bartering my skills to get it done. He wants a PCB made. That's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment