Makin' Bolts

Sunday April 19, 2009

Worked on my motorcycle. Hasn't run in 2 years. Bought/charged/installed battery, then started working on the rear brake mounting.

Somehow these bolts went missing and I need them for my motorcycle. Was going to order the proper thing and then it occurred to me I could "make do" by chopping off and then drilling a hole in a similar bolt. Need two bolts with particular shoulder and hole drilled for a cotter pin.

Motorcycles are particular, boy oh boy, the shoulder on the bolt fits exactly width wise and length into the brake drum bracket. So, it's NOT a permanent fix, and boy my old boss Charlie Craig would NOT approve :)

Before - Proper bolt in foreground, donor bolt in background


After - Hacksawed and drilled and looks pretty close, though shoulder diameter is too small.


Installed on the bike (photo only shows one of them).

No comments:

Post a Comment