Gameboy Programming

Sat 3 October 2009

I'm going to use a Gameboy, PSP, Nintendo DS, or somesuch device that includes a display screen, as a remote control for my robots. You'll press buttons on the device, and the software on the device will read the buttons and send commands out to a Zigbee/XBee wireless module. There will be a matching XBee receiver on the robot. My idea is to use this to control Robo-One type walking robots, because they have so many modes/motions/etc. The screen will be used to make a menu to make it easier to select different motions and suchlike.

So... I'm learning to program the Gameboy.

Here is a screenshot of my first program. It moves a crosshairs around on the screen via the Gameboy DPad (directional) buttons. Pretty fun stuff for a fine Saturday morning (if you are a geek, of course).

I'm using the HAM development environment and the VisualBoyAdvance (VBA) emulator running unders Windows XP. I'm learning from this excellent free book: Programming the Nintendo Game Boy Advance, by Jonathan Harbour, www.jharbour.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment